With just a few ingredients, you too can make this hearty, Belizean-style crab stew with matilda fut served over a bed of white rice. Simply follow these instructions for a hearty meal prepared and cooked in no time.
YOU WILL NEED:
6 to 8 medium or large crabs
2 green plantain (cut into small pieces)
1 small pig’s tail (cut off excess fat)
1 large onion
2-3 teaspoons Lea and Perrins Sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 small round red recado
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon any of your favorite seasoning
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 cups thick coconut milk
INGREDIENTS FOR MATILDA FUT –
2 green plantains
1 turn or half-ripe plantain
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coconut milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tablespoon margarine
HOW TO COOK MATILDA FUT:
Peel and grate plantains.
Mix flour, salt, and baking powder together.
Melt margarine (low heat).
Add margarine and milk to grated plantain, mix well.
Drop by teaspoon into boiling stew.
- To kill crab, place it in hot boiling water.
- Remove from water with wire or long spoon. Dis-joint legs from body and crush the large claws.
- Add season. Boil pig tail and green plantain until tender.
- Meanwhile, grate coconut and squeeze (leave 2 tablespoons milk for matilda foot).
- Add seasons to crab in boiling water.
- Add matilda foot to stew. Cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Lastly, add coconut milk and taste. Serve the Crab Stew hot with steamed rice.